Saturday, November 6, 2010

Google TV - Setting it up

So Google TV has launched and there are lots of places to read a review or two... but I thought I would share my $0.02 as well.

I was excited about getting a GTV from the day it was announced.  I had high expectations and my biggest thought was that I could reduce, or even eliminate, my cable service.  I followed the tidbits of information as it came out and when it was finally time to pre-order one, I did.  I bought the Logitech Revue direct from Logitech.  It comes with a full size qwerty keyboard and a small box that you connect between your set top box (either cable or satellite) and your TV or A/V system via an HDMI cable.  That is it, but it is all you need.

Once you connect everything then you need to set it up.  It is fairly straightforward because Logitech has done such a great job of having all the codes needed for virtually every manufacturer of set top box, A/V system and TV due to their Harmony line of universal remotes.  The biggest hiccup I had was that my STB (set top box) is a Motorola and they only allow 2 HDMI devices to be connected in a row... so from my STB to my GTV then to my A/V system caused an issue that I had no picture.  Thankfully I had already read up on this on the Logitech support website and knew that I would need an optical cable and that I would need to run my HDMI cable direct to my TV.  For those that aren't as comfortable in connecting up their home theater system this could cause some heartburn but you can always but it from Best Buy and have Geek Squad hook it up for you, or ask your geeky friend to lend a hand.

Once everything is connected properly the set-up was a snap.  It asks for all your model numbers and when it is finished, your keyboard (which is also your universal remote now) is able to control everything you need.  Your set top box, TV and A/V system can all be controlled immediately upon finishing the set up.  You don't have to do a thing.

Once you are done setting it up it's time to check out all the features.  Which I will cover in my next blog...

-- Brian

No comments: